Duration: Six days
Class Size: Maximum of four or five students (see note on main class page)
Materials: $500 (includes tax)
March 26th – 31st Full
April 9th – 14th Full
Over a six-day period, you will build a Greene & Greene style blanket chest. A chest of this size lends itself to a variety of uses other than storing blankets – think coffee table, toy chest, hope chest…
By the end of the project, you will have expanded your experience with several classic G&G design elements such as making and inserting ebony plugs, bread board ends with ebony splines, proud finger joints as well as the “strap detail.”
The finger joints for the case will be machined using a routing template. All parts of the top (lid) will be made from solid wood. Torsion hinges (for a soft landing lid) will be provided and installed in class.
There will be plenty of hand sanding to soften the ends of the fingered joints – but we have lots of carver’s tape to protect your fingers.
This will be an enjoyable week to build a piece of furniture in a relaxed atmosphere and talk about Greene & Greene and woodworking (two of Darrell’s favorite subjects).
Templates to build a 2nd Blanket Chest (at home) will be available for purchase.
- Measuring tools – squares, tape measure
- Steel hammer
- Small plastic headed mallet
- Small adjustable square (4″ or so) or square saddle
- Dental pick (not necessary, but might be helpful)
- 1/4” Lee Valley square punch with 4” (or longer) 13/64” twist bit
- 5/16” Lee Valley square punch with 17/64” twist bit
- 3/8” Lee Valley square punch with 21/64” twist bit
- Small chisels
- Besides bringing a notebook, feel free to bring along a camera to make a visual record of the jigs and setups that you use in class
Open enrollment begins October 23rd (October 20th for prior students)
Contact Darrell to enroll in this class or be put on a waiting list. You may also call Darrell directly at (425) 277-4070 between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:00 pm (Pacific Time).