Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Darrell Peart

My Greene & Greene Blanket Chest was the subject of a FWW article in the Nov/Dec 2014 issue. It is also the most popular class I have ever offered.

The  article presents a method to make your own routing template case fingers. I will also be offering CNC made versions for sale.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Darrell.
      • This topic was modified 1 month ago by James Snow.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Darrell.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mick Simon

On my list!

James Snow

Mine too….lemme know when you offer the CNC templates….or if I can purchase the DXF files from you for my CNC…..thank you sir!! My wife loves this Chest.

Darrell
        Keymaster

Hi James,
        Glad you joined in the group.
        I plan on selling the .dxf for the Blanket Chest. It will include top, front, and end elevations of the blanket chest, along with the finger joint routing template, corner to corner ( squaring up) clamping cauls and a fixture to elevate the case while in the clamps. I plan on charging $12.
        When I can figure out how to set up digital downloads via PayPal selling the file will be automated. Some of the WordPress stuff is a mystery to me though – so it might take a while.
        In the meantime let me know if you are interested and I can send you a PayPal money request.

Chris W
        Participant

Hi Darrell,
        When / if you get to offering cnc templates, I would definitely be interested.
        Thanks
        Chris Wibbenmeyer

Darrell
        Keymaster

Hi Chris,
        If you have a cnc machine I have the .dxf file available now. The actual templates might be a little while yet.

Chris W
      Participant

Darrell,
      I don’t. Been dragging my feet on trying to learn more about cnc.

If someone would be willing to advise me on how to get into cnc, how to get started, software machines etc., I would be very willing to listen. Something I would like to do just do not know where to start.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Chris W.
        Darrell Peart

Chris,
        I am not much of a tech person – I dive into the CNC only as much to o what I want to do.
        Maybe someone else here is more knowledgeable

btw – is this Chris from BC?

Chris W
        Participant

Darrell,
        Chris W from Southeast Missouri

James Snow

Hi Darrell, will you send me the request? thanks sir!!!

I’m not super knowledgeable, but enough to get by. I purchased the Shapeoko XXL…..it ran about 1600 bucks when I got it and is still under 2k…..it has been a great starter CNC and has done well for me. I will be looking to upgrade sometime next year….the one I have will cut 32″ x 32″. Lemme know if you have any specific questions and I will help where I can….but I am sure there are some who know way more than me…..

anthonyl6208
      Participant

Darrell,

Thanks for starting this forum and selling the .dxf files for the blanket chest. I’m sending you an email now to purchase it.

I’m still looking forward to the possibility of you selling the .dxf file for the gaming table.

Mick Simon

I’m retired from a career in industrial CNC, mainly for the woodworking industry, and currently teach CNC for woodworking at the local community college. Even with my background, trying to decide on a good machine to recommend for hobbyists is very difficult. My advice to my students wanting to jump into it is always that they be realistic with their expectations unless they’re willing to pay. If you’re looking to cut templates, that’s one recommendation. If you’re looking to make cutting boards to sell on Etsy for $25, that’s a big step up.
      James mentioned the Shapeoko CNC. I had a student who bought one then found out we offered the course and signed up mid-semester. This guy is a world renowned guitar maker – beautiful work. Coming from an industrial machinery background, my honest reaction when he said he bought the Sapeoko was, well, good luck with that. He and the router surprised the heck out of me. Within a couple of weeks he was producing beautiful, intricate carvings in the heads, ebony inlays, etc., which was why he bought it in the first place.
      Marc Spagnuolo (Wood Whisperer) mentioned in a recent guild meeting that he had a Shapeoko sitting on the floor in a back room. It didn’t do what he wanted a CNC to do. So he bought a Powermatic (essentially the same machine as an Axiom – see below). His plan was to do a video training series with a guy well versed in CNC. Then Covid hit and the whole thing got shelved. His point in mentioning it was that, a year later he realizes just how much there is to CNC and how difficult it would be to do the video at all. One size does not fit all.
      My personal router was about $10k all told and works very well – after a significant amount of work on my part. The manufacturer was completely absent in terms of support.
      If you’re a techie and a tinkerer, there are very capable machines under $5k, mostly coming from China, so buyer beware. If you want a turnkey system with good support I would look into Stepcraft out of Germany, i2R, which Fine Woodworking is doing a webcast with March 11 (https://www.finewoodworking.com/2021/03/02/webinar-cnc-made-simple-with-i2r), Axiom or CAMaster. Each offers a variety of capabilities, sizes and price points. Darrell’s friend, Ramon Valdez told me about Stepcraft. I was not familiar with them, but the closer I look, the better they look. I forgot to mention AvidCNC. Good value and variety!
      So much of the capabilities of CNC are software driven. I would spend at least as much time researching it as I would the machine. I use and teach Vectric V-Carve and Aspire. I think for the capabilities, support and the money, V-Carve is very hard to beat.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Mick Simon.
        Chris W
        Participant

Great Mick, Thank you for the detailed reply.
        Now off to research 🙂

Chris W

James Snow

Thanks Mick! For now it (Shapeoko) has done what I have needed it to do. I originally got it to make vcarved plaques for my charity and it’s grown since then. It is great for making templates And is ok for cutting parts directly. I will be upgrading at some point next year and am looking at the axion machines and the stepcraft as well. I use aspire software now and am really happy with it. I started out doing things in Inkscape and importing them into the Shapeoko’s native software and that was a chore.

Mick Simon

Hi James. Since there’s now a Getting started in CNC topic going under General Discussion, I think I’ll copy and resume these posts there.
        I hope I didn’t step on your or anyone else’s toes with any comments about the Shapeoko. My intention was to do just the opposite. It’s still hard to wrap my head around, to temper my expectations around the hobby CNC market. Before I was asked to teach the CNC class, my history in CNC was with machines weighing sometimes 5 times what my truck weighs that cut cabinet parts at 3000 inches per minute. To go from that to machines that you can pick up and move across the shop was an adjustment. But it comes down to what I said above, know and work within your expectations and great things can be made with them.
        Glad to hear you’re happy with Aspire. I have 4 CAD/CAM programs loaded on my computer, but don’t use anything but Aspire.

James Snow

You didn’t step on any toes brother. The Shapeoko is what it is and for 1800 bucks it was a good way to get into CNC without breaking the bank and figure it out. Plus if I broke it I wasn’t out a ton. Hahahaha. You are right on the money when you discuss managing your expectations. The repeatability isn’t the greatest and with the early ones like I got, the “belt” drive z axis isn’t the most accurate, but like I said, it’s worked for now. After 27 years as a cop, it’s pretty hard to offend me, so you don’t need to worry bout that. Hahaha. Thanks for the input brother

Darrell
      Keymaster

Nice to meet you, Chris!

Gregg Cromeans
      Participant

As someone who attended two of Darrell’s classes (blanket chest and Fremont chair) it was time well spent. The blanket chest is a piece of the Greene and Greene bedroom set I made for my wife and I. The CNC templates are not necessary, but would be a big help to speed up the process. I plan to make a couple more as gifts, so I’ll keep an eye out for the templates. I am currently working on a Fremont bedroom set for my daughter. So glad these forums exist.

Darrell
        Keymaster

Hi Gregg – glad to see you here!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.