Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Mick Simon

First, thanks, Darrell for starting this up. I know there are many, many very talented craftspeople interested in the work you’ve done in bringing attention to and advancing the work of the Greene brothers.
      I thought it would be nice to see who’s participating. I’ll start.
      I’ve been a hobbyist woodworker since I was a kid. I’m retired, but teach in the Fine Woodworking program at the local community college. I’m relatively new to Darrell’s work, but was fortunate to host him and Terry in Santa Fe for a weekend workshop a couple of years back and caught the bug.
      My career was spent primarily in industrial CNC, mainly in woodworking applications. I use the technology where I find it appropriate in many of my projects.
      This was my first attempt at G&G using Darrell’s Freemont Nightstand plans, and modifying them for use as a file cabinet.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Darrell
      Keymaster

Hi Mick,
      Glad you joined. I look forward to your posts. Terry and I really enjoyed Santa Fe – one our list of favorite places to visit again!

Mick Simon

Soon, I hope!

James Snow

Beautiful piece Mick!!! Looking forward to brainstorming and sharing ideas with you! and everyone. I am James Snow and I am not as lucky as Mick to be retired, but hopefully in the next two years. I am a Sergeant with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and have been in law enforcement for 26 years. I grew up in the trades and when I became a cop I started building furniture as a way to wind down from the stresses of the job and have been doing it for about 21 years now…..running a full time cabinet shop for about 10 years as well in that time. I got interested in Arts and Crafts furniture in the beginning of my woodworking but it really took off for the Greene and Greene stuff when I saw the Gamble House for the first time. I only found Darrell’s stuff a couple years ago and after that was fortunate enough to take the Sofa Table Class from him and it’s been a blast since then. I have gone full into the Greene and Greene stuff and have been fortunate enough to have my Greene and Greene furniture used for staging in the DIY network show “Restored” and from that was offered the opportunity to make the Greene and Greene lighting fixtures for the Old California Lighting Company….so hopefully retirement is coming soon! ahahaha. Thanks to Darrell for hosting this forum, I think we will get some great information from each other!!!

Attachments:
      James Snow

Couple more…..don’t have that many pics on this computer….

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by James Snow.
      Attachments:
      Mick Simon

Beautiful work, James! I’m planning to make the sideboard for use as a media center maybe next fall. The high quality of your work speaks volumes for Darrell’s instruction, not to mention your experience. I look forward to picking your brain on future projects!

James Snow

Thanks brother! Lots of trial and error…hahaha. Darrell is a great instructor, the sofa table class is one of the highlights (so far) of my woodworking career….lot of fun and great company.

Chris W
      Participant

Mick and James, very nice work. I really appreciate how each of you expanded Darrell’s concepts into new designs.

I am a basement / weekend hobby woodworker. I cannot find as much time to do the work that I would like to.

Sharing some of my work below and look forward to the forum exchanges.

Chris Wibbenmeyer
      Perryville, MO

Attachments:
      Chris W
      Participant

couple more.

I love how we are all very proud of our work. Keep up the sharing….!!

Chris

Attachments:
        Darrell
        Keymaster

Some great work, Chris!

Chris W
        Participant

Much appreciation Darrell!

Cody
      Participant

Wow! You all are so amazing! I’m so jealous of all the work that you all have put together. Darrell I started wood working some years back as a hobby because I loved the look of your furniture and could not afford high quality work like yours for myself so I wanted to learn to make it myself. Well it took years before I had the time, and courage to give it a try. Now that I have started I’m truly enjoying working from your plans for the Aurora nightstand. Seeing everyone else’s work is also inspirational as well and let’s me know I need to get with it and start producing more:). Oh and I am an animator during the day and a woodworker some nights and weekends.

Charles Gray
      Participant

I started woodworking about 30 years ago. My interest in it was sparked by The New Yankee Workshop. I am strictly a hobbyist and my two car garage is my shop. I have built up a level of competence to where I can copy most any design. Where I am lacking is creating my own designs. I generally do not participate in social media or online forums, but I am such a fan of Darrell’s work and books that I feel compelled to post here. I built the Fremont Nightstand that Darrell taught in The Wood Whisperer Guild, and I am currently building the Fremont dresser to go with it. Here are a few samples of my work.

Attachments:
      Nate
      Participant

Hello, I’m Nate. I’m a hobbyist who reconnected with woodworking about 6 years ago. After my skills improve some more, I plan to build a full Fremont bedroom set. Meanwhile I’ve bastardized a couple of Darrel’s small cocktail style tables. These two pieces are inspired by the Klinker and Tercet designs. No plugs on these, and fairly non traditional lumber choices. I also skipped the rafter supports on the Tercet inspired table to better fit the small space that it lives in (and to simplify things!) I will definitely be doing another rendition of the Klinker design at some point. I really enjoy these really cool segmented tops. I’d also like to take a stab at the Tall corner table someday as well. Anyhow, if anyone is interested to make some similar designs, I’d like to bounce ideas. I would like to achieve better fit on the tops and figure out better ways to make and fit the splines that connect them. Thanks to Darrel for creating this space and looking forward to the great ideas that will come from it. Cheers

Attachments:
      Brandon
      Participant

Never been apart of a forum before and not really active on social media. I had to join but for nothing more than inspiration. This style furniture is so appealing to me, and im most proud of my work in this style. Thanks everyone for your post and pictures. I’ve never had the pleasure of taking one on Darrels classes due to financial reasons, but it’s on my bucket list for sure. I don’t have any photos of any of my work on my phone but will post some soon.

Mick Simon

Nice, Chris! I’m curious if you have any issues with vibration or anything else with the sub in the cabinet? I need to do something similar when I make my media cabinet, but was thinking of keeping the sub on the floor but having the enclosure around it.

Chris W
        Participant

Mick,
        I have not had any issues with vibration. I was somewhat concerned about it initially, especially if I were to add a turntable on top. I have monitored it a bit as I do like it loud at times but it has not been an issue. I also feel the sub I am using is stabilized well. It has nice rubber feet and also produces very clean bass. The manufacturer is SVS and was purchased through Crutchfield if interested. I like your idea too though. Please keep us updated as your ideas progress. My next endeavor is an inspired whiskey cabinet. I have it mocked up but again, progress is slow.

Regards
        Chris

JoeJ

Yes, thanks so much to Darrell for starting this forum. It is very much like the G&G Yahoo group that Darrell started years back. And thanks Mick for starting this Introduction thread

My name is Joe, and I discovered G&G sometime in 2008. I have been woodworking for over 35 years and am very happy to work in this style. I have known Darrell since 2009. His work has inspired me and the methods he has displayed, either on his website, or social media, have really made me a better woodworker.

I have done several G&G furniture pieces, a lot of picture frames, and a lot of G&G trim for our 1921 Craftsman home

I have attached a photo of a copy of the Freeman Ford Taboret I built a few years back. I have also attached some photos of the Thorsen Taboret I reproduced for the Thorsen House. I live just a few minutes from the house & Darrell recommended me to help the students to reproduce some of the original furniture pieces

I see a lot of great work has been posted in the forum already and hope to see a lot more to come!

Attachments:
      JoeJ

My last photo was too large to upload, so here it is reduced.

Attachments:
        Darrell
        Keymaster

Joe – I remember the visit to the Huntington when you brought your reproduction along – which one is yours and which is th original.
        Have you been over the the Thorsen House lately. Is Dave still involved there?

JoeJ

Darrell – Mine is the one on the left, the original is on the right. The ebony plugs on the breadboards were a little larger than they should have been. I have not been over to the house nor talked to Dave in quite a while.

James Snow

Beautiful work Joe!! and amazing inlay work…..that is something I would like to try at some point…..

JoeJ

James,

If you like, I can send you a copy of the how-to magazine article I did on the inlay. The publisher has given me permission to distribute copies freely.

James Snow

That would be amazing Joe! Sorry haven’t been too active….overwhelmed with work between my sheriff’s job, teaching college, and 3 cabinet jobs in the works along with the lighting for old california…. thanks brother!!

JoeJ

James (and others),

I have attached a copy of the article.

Joe

Brian Tracey
      Participant

Hello,
      My name is Brian and I have been woodworking since I was a kid. Got more seriously interested in the early 1970’s when I read James Krenov’s first book, which really captured my interests. Years Later, Darrell was a presenter at a Woodworking in America Conference I attended, and between seeing his work, and making a trip to the Gamble House, I have been intrigued with the designs and techniques
      used ever since.
      Woodworking is a hobby and passion for me. I have my shop crammed into my two car garage, using both hand (preferred) and power tools.
      I have made a few pieces starting with a pair of Aurora Nightstands and other G&G inspired pieces.

Brian Tracey
      Participant

Sorry image sizes were too large, here are the reduced files.
      Brian

Attachments:
      Mick Simon

Very nice, Brian! Good to see you here.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.